Villa Angarano Bianchi-Michiel
It was in 1548 when Giacomo Angarano commissioned to his illustrious friend Andrea Palladio the design for a Villa meant to be not only a farming company but also a holiday destination. The design of the Villa is included in Andrea Palladio’s “Four Books of Architecture”.
Works started in 1556, but the master’s house was left unbuilt. Currently only the Barchessa’s structure survives of the original Palladian design, while the L-shaped colomnades end at the master’s Baroque-style central block. Venetian architect Domenico Margutti, Baldassare Longhena’s pupil, completed the master’s house between the end of the XVII century and the beginning of the XVIII century.
At the end of the eastern Barchessa we find the patrician Chapel of S. Maria Maddalena, probably designed by Margutti himself. The exterior of the historical building is adorned by 18 statues, representing as many sacred subjects, probably by sculptor Giacomo Cassetti, known as Marinali (1682-1750), who was an outstanding artist during his lifetime.
The Eastern Barchessa also includes the striking Old Stable, whose recent restoration has brought back to light the room’s original materials and precious finishes. Here wooden plaques hanging over the stalls still show the names of past horses, such as Aladar, Saturno and Raul. Incredibly, these names have never been erased; rather they have endured through time, like all the rest, and are evidence of a long-gone time when people only travelled on horse-drawn carriages.